Toasted Coconut Calamansi Blueberry Bran Muffins
You do have time for breakfast! Gather some ingredients, and enjoy making your breakfast for the week within 30 minutes. Did we mention it’s delicious and healthy?!
Makes 20-24 muffins
1/2 cup Sun Tropics® Calamansi Lime Nectar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp appleasauce
1 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup bran cereal
1/2 cup oatmeal
Dry Ingredients #2:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup raw sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1-2 cups blueberries
1-2 tbsp raw sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine wet ingredients and stir until incorporated.
- Combine dry ingredients #1 (bran cereal and oatmeal), and pour wet ingredient mixture over. Stir and let soak while you mix dry ingredients #2 in a medium to large bowl and prepare your muffin pans by either greasing each cup or lining with a paper cupcake liner.
- Pour wet ingredient mixture over the dry mixture, and barely stir by folding the mixture into itself.
- Drop heaping spoonful of batter into the muffin pan slots, filling to just under the top.
- Sprinkle the tops with raw sugar and unsweetened coconut.
- If baking both pans together, bake for 20-24 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. They may appear a little doughy on top, but if the toothpick comes out clean, they are done. They will set up and become more firm as they cool.
- Definitely eat at least one of these out of the oven because they are kind of amazing and you deserve it for all your work and foresight in taking care of your breakfast for the week.
- If you plan to freeze these, we recommend placing two to three in each sealed sandwich bag. If you plan to keep them longer (up to three months), place the sandwich bags in a larger freezer bag to keep them fresh.
- The secret muffin principle: stir as minimally as possible for best texture and when it is mostly incorporated.
- For breakfast in the morning, microwave for thirty seconds, then check and continue to microwave in 10 second increments until soft, warm, and scrumptious.
Up Next: Tropical Calamansi Tacos