Toasted Coconut Calamansi Blueberry Bran Muffins
You DO have time for breakfast! Tonight after dinner, put on some music, gather some ingredients, & enjoy making your breakfast for the week in like 30 minutes (plus bake time, but that doesn’t count). 😉 Did we mention it’s delicious AND healthy?!
Yields 20-24 Muffins, depending on size
1/2 cup Sun Tropics Calamansi Lime Nectar
1/4 cup olive oil (Seriously, it’s healthier and you can’t taste a difference!)
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp appleasauce
1 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
DRY INGREDIENTS #1:
1 1/2 cup bran cereal
1/2 cup oatmeal
DRY INGREDIENTS #2:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup raw sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1-2 cups frozen blueberries (according to your preference–If you like tons of berries, add more; if you like less, add less) 🙂
1-2 Tbsp raw sugar
2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
2. Combine wet ingredients and stir until incorporated.
3. Combine dry ingredients #1 (bran cereal and oatmeal), and pour wet ingredient mixture over. Stir and let soak while you mix dry ingredients #2 in a medium to large bowl and prepare your muffin pans by either greasing each cup or lining with a paper cupcake liner (about 5 minutes).
4. Pour wet ingredient mixture over the dry mixture, and BARELY STIR by folding the mixture into itself. This is a SECRET MUFFIN PRINCIPLE: stir as minimally as possible for best texture. So when it is mostly incorporated (it’s okay if there are still streaks of flour, they will get mixed), add the frozen blueberries and fold them into the mixture until just combined.
5. Drop heaping spoonfuls of batter into the muffin pan slots, filling to just under the top.
6. Sprinkle the tops with raw sugar and unsweetened coconut.
7. If baking both pans together (which we recommend because it’s fastest and easiest, and hey, we’re fans of both of those things!), bake for 20-24 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. They may appear a little doughy on top, but if the toothpick comes out clean, they are done. They will set up and become more firm as they cool.
8. Definitely eat at least one of these out of the oven because they are kind of amazing and you deserve it for all your work and foresight in taking care of your breakfast for the week.
9. If you plan to freeze these, we recommend placing two to three (however many you think will fill you up for breakfast) in each sealed sandwich bag. If you plan to eat these within the week, place them right in the freezer in the individual bags, then they will come out fresh as can be every morning. If you plan to keep them longer (up to three months), place the sandwich bags in a larger freezer bag to keep them fresh.
10. Ok, here’s the great part. For breakfast in the morning, microwave for thirty seconds, then check and continue to microwave in 10 second increments until soft, warm, and scrumptious. How easy is that?! We’re proud of you, you breakfast baker, you!
Up Next: Tropical Calamansi Tacos