Crispy Chicken with Calamansi Passion Sauce
Use our perfected flash-baked method, and you’ll never know these tenders are baked, not fried!
Crispy Baked Chicken
10-12 raw, rinsed chicken tenders (or chicken breasts, cut into strips)
1/4 cup Sun Tropics® Calamansi Lime Nectar
2 cups corn flakes
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
olive oil spray
Sweet & Sour Calamansi Passion Sauce Ingredients:
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 tbsp corn starch
1/2 cup Sun Tropics® Passion Orange Guava 100% Juice
1/2 cup Sun Tropics® Calamansi Lime Nectar
3 tbsp ketchup
3 tbsp brown sugar
Dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Create an assembly line for dredging the chicken. Place corn flakes in a zip-lock bag and crush with a rolling pin until in small pieces (but not so much that it forms a powder). Transfer corn flake pieces to a bowl. Add salt into the flour then spread flour evenly on a plate. Place two beaten eggs in a bowl. Pour the Calamansi Lime Nectar in a separate bowl.
- Dip each chicken tender first in the Calamansi Lime Nectar (you can also marinate the chicken in the Calamansi Lime Nectar for 1-3 hours in a bowl in the fridge if you have the time, then coat each side in flour. Next, dip into the egg mixture so that the piece is completely covered in egg, and transfer immediately to the corn flake mixture, turning the piece over so that it is completely coated.
- Place each completely coated chicken tender on a greased cookie sheet or baking pan.
- When the sheet is full, spray the chicken tenders with olive oil to coat the tops and place in the oven on the middle rack.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes. While baking, prepare your sauce below.
Sweet & Sour Calamansi Passion Sauce:
- In a small jar or glass, combine the vinegar and corn starch. Stir until smooth and set aside.
- In a small to medium saucepan, mix the remaining ingredients. Bring to a soft simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Once the mixture begins to simmer, slowly stir in the corn starch & vinegar mixture (re-stir this mixture first if it has begun to separate). Make sure you constantly stir at this stage so lumps do not develop. Continue to stir until combined and allow to simmer over medium-low heat for an additional two minutes, stirring occasionally.
Notes: to get the chicken perfectly crispy-browned, set the oven to broil. Bake them for 60-90 seconds more. *This is very important: watch your chicken tenders at all times while on broil. Once they start to brown, they will get darker very quickly. As soon as the tenders are browned, promptly remove them from the oven.
Up Next: Sparkling Sangria