Calamansi Crème Brûlée
Makes 8 servings
3 cups heavy cream
10 Tablespoons turbinado sugar (raw sugar)
2 Tablespoons Sun Tropics® Pure Calamansi
Pinch of salt
6 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat oven to 325° F.
- In a heavy sauce pan, stir in 7 Tablespoons turbinado sugar, Pure Calamansi, and a pinch of salt in the cream.
- Heat mixture over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until almost boiling, then remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks with a wooden spoon, add the vanilla extract then gradually stir in hot cream mixture. Pour custard onto ramekins.
- Arrange ramekins in a roasting pan and bake in water bath until custards are just set around the edges but centers wobble when pan is gently shaken, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool custard in water bath for 20 minutes then remove from pan and chill, uncovered at least for 2 hours. This will set the custard.
- Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar evenly over each custard, then move blowtorch flame evenly back and forth close to sugar until caramelized. Caramel will harden in 3 to 5 minutes.
Up Next: Pork Spare Ribs Toyo-Mansi