Pear Salad with Calamansi Salad Dressing and Palm Sugar Candied Walnut
I love pear salad. It is the sweet and fragrance of the pear that makes it so appealing and it is easy to blend in any citrus sour-sweet dressing. I love to add a little bit of fish sauce in my Thai salad dressing for the depth of the flavor. Combining lemon and orange juice makes a good substitute for calamasi juice and brown sugar is a good substitute for palm sugar in this recipe. Therefore, I hope you can make this recipe work without an extra trip to an Asian market. I hope you have a chance to create this dish anytime and especially to share with family and friends as a Thanksgiving salad. Cheers!
1 (5-ounce) package fresh herb salad mix
½ cup cilantro leaves
4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon brown or palm sugar
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
3 Tbsp. Pure Calamansi
1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 large shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
3 Comice pears, peeled, halved, cored and sliced
1 cup candied walnuts for ganishing
1. Combine fresh herb salad mix and cilantro leaves together in a salad bowl.
2. Pour 1 Tbsp olive oil over the greens, combine gently by hand until all greens are well-coated.
3. Divide onto 6 salad plates.
4. whisk until well-blended the remaining olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, brown or
palm sugar, fish sauce and Pure Calamansi.
5. Add bell peppers, shallots, and pears, and toss gently.
6. Garnish with candied walnuts.
Makes 6 servings
Up Next: Calamansi Poppy Seed Vinaigrette